This is why.
The external world can be a dark place. You turn on the TV and all you see is war, poverty, crime. The internal world can be darker and prevent you from seeing the light. It's not only physical disease that requires preventative measures.
This is a simple list of things to do to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight. For best results try to complete it in a day, a week, or any period of time. When done, rinse and repeat. So even if you feel the light right now or you achieve the light, do it anyway or do it again (and again). Do it everyday in any way that you can.
The five senses (if any of these isn't quite up to scratch - believe that you can anyway...just try it):
1. See the light. View objects of beauty. Whatever is beautiful to you. For me, it's the sky, clouds, plants (flowers, trees, grass), animals (dragonflies, dolphins, dogs), people (like someone helping out someone else or smiling for no reason).
2. Sense of smell. Whatever turns you on. For me, these can be perfumes (no it's not cheating just because someone created it and it doesn't happen to be lying in your natural path), flowers, a box of chips, skin.
3. Touchy, feely. Keep the memory in your finger tips. Skin (human or non), petals, grass, hair, clay, the wind.
4. Listen to the sound. Whether it's music or a voice or sound that is music to your ears (even without the straightforward notes).
5. Flavour indulgence. Taste what you love. Try a new flavour of ice cream. Taste someone you love. Indulge.
The five thoughts, feelings, movements, actions, states of being:
6. Vent, drift and share, release - you have a voice/communicate. Write dorky lists. Call up a mate. Speak "in real life". Speak to yourself. Sing. Hum. Tap your fingers.
7. Expect less. Things are overrated. Don't believe the hype. Come in with low expectations and allow yourself the chance to be pleasantly surprised.
8. Believe. Whatever it is you want to believe. Faerie dust, higher power, morning dew, tomorrow - you decide. Change your mind. Challenge your beliefs. Explore.
9. Dare to be different. Examine the crowd. See how you can non-integrate. It can even be as small as being the only one smiling. Randomly.
10. Smile. Whenever, wherever, for whatever the reason. Just cause it looks good to some people (refer to number 1).
(11. Be selfish. Not in such a way that you crap on someone else's day. More within yourself. Yeh you are special, appreciate that. There's noone else like you and there won't be and there never has been. You are entitled to fulfill dorky lists. You are worth it. You are worthy of giving someone else a hand. Don't stick to defined limits.)
When the road gets dark
And you can no longer see
Just let my love throw a spark
And have a little faith in me
This list may not be something you're interested in, but who cares what you think right now, I'm doing this for me. But if you are interested, let me know what your 10 (5, 7, 13) things are or how you fill in the list (all of it, some of it, one of it). I want to know.